Five Ways You Can Renew Your California Registration
Renewing your registration may seem like quite a pain, especially if you must get a smog check. However, with advances in technology and services provided by the DMV, renewing your registration is easier now than ever before. Here are five ways that it can be done:
- By Mail: Probably one of the easiest ways since most people know how to mail letters and forms is to send the paperwork and check needed for the renewal of your registration. You can request to have the information sent to your home or you can print it from the DMV's website, fill it out in the comfort of your home, and then send it in the mail. Most likely, the DMV will have sent you the forms by mail automatically along with an envelope you can use to send it back. Once you've mailed everything, the DMV will simply send you your registration card and tags back in the mail.
- Online: Not everyone is going to meet the requirements for registration renewal online, which is really only the case if you have recently changed your address, but if you are able to, this is another easy way to renew your registration without leaving the comfort of your home. Just be sure that you have all of the information ready, such as your license plate number and VIN.
- Self-Service: There are also self-service terminals that you can use that can be found throughout the area in which you live. This is the best method if you want to renew on your own without having to wait for your tags and registration card to come in the mail. Instead, this will simply be dispensed to you immediately upon completion of the renewal process on this self-service machine.
- By Phone: You could also call a specific number that will direct you to someone you can talk to about your renewal. The number can be found online or possibly on your renewal papers from the previous year. If you do call by phone, definitely be sure you have the information ready. The benefit of doing this is that if you have any questions or are having trouble in any other way for renewing, then this will likely get that resolved.
- DMV: Finally, you can do the traditional way of renewing, which is by visiting the DMV. Of course, this isn't always the most preferred method since it does require much more heavy wait times to get the process done, but it is helpful if you need to renew any information that you are not able to do with any of the above methods.
With all this information about the different ways to renew your registration, it's easier than ever before to choose a method that works best for you.
16 January 2018